Thursday, March 7, 2013

Movie Twins, Part I


A previous post by DK had detailed each PCTI participant’s likeness to a big screen/small screen athlete/sports character. The post itself was quality and got me thinking about each participant’s likeness to an actual movie or TV character. I like to think of myself as something as a movie buff, so here are my top choices for PCTI players’ semblances to well-known movie characters.

1)      DK – Marlon Brando, The Godfather
 
 

Cool, collected, calm gangster. Like the Godfather, DK collects friends and makes your enemies his own. He sends messages (getting up in 'ya on D) so that he is feared, but just wants to be respected and beloved (see: get a teammate to convert one of his well-placed dimes). Sits in counsel with a few members of his consiglieri to determine best course of action for the tournament. And when he invited us all to participate in PCTI, he made us an offer we couldn’t refuse. Probably needs to be on the look-out for a close friend betraying him in pursuit of control of the PCTI enterprise. If I had to guess, I’d say BC and Hops are the prime candidates.

2)      BC – Derek Zoolander, Zoolander
 




Is he sassy? Yes. Does he struggle with being an ambi-turner? Sure. But is he the single greatest model (blogger) of his generation? Without question. “I have problems with turns because I'm left-handed, and they haven't built a left-handed runway yet. I've done over 1,000 runway shows in my career, and if you put all those runways end to end, it'd be so long I couldn't even walk down it without getting tired. I think the only good thing about it would be there'd be no turns.” Like Zoolander, BC is primed to settle a score with Hansel (B-Esk) in one of the most anticipated walk-offs in history. And when I pass on from this earth, I want BC to deliver the eugoogooly at my funeral.  

 
3)      Bruise – Jules Winnfield, Pulp Fiction
 

 

Anger just beneath the surface? Check. Emotional instability that leads to physical violence? Double check (Discount). One of the most feared men in cinematic (PCTI) history? No question. And yet, has his new marriage calmed the rage inside and made him more docile? This quote gives us the insight we need to understand his complexities: “The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." I been saying that shit for years. And if you heard it, that meant your ass. I never gave much thought to what it meant. I just thought it was some cold-blooded shit to say to a motherfucker before I popped a cap in his ass. But I saw some shit this morning made me think twice. See, now I'm thinking, maybe it means you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. 9 millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could mean you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that. But that shit ain't the truth. The truth is, you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.”

4)      Beas – Tristan Ludlow, Legends of the Fall
 

 


Intelligent, reliable, and sometimes sardonic good guy that combines raw talent with devastating good looks. The result is an unfair slaying of the opposite sex. Rumor has it that nature-loving wild-child is well-versed in Native American traditions, smuggles alcohol on the regular, and steals his brothers’ women just because he can. Remains to be seen if he will fight a grizzly bear (Ben Wilson) in hand-to-hand combat and claim that it was a “good death.”

5)      Abe – Neo, The Matrix
 

  

Software programmer (technology salesman) leading a double life as a computer hacker (convenience-store smuggler) who doesn’t fully realize his talents and abilities until several versions of the Matrix (PCTI) have been experienced. I can imagine when Joe told him that he was thinking about drafting him, Abe’s response was something like Neo’s arrest at the hands of Smith: “Well, that sounds like a pretty good deal. But I think I may have a better one. How about, I give you the finger”….and you let me play on another team. Time will tell if this was the right strategy.

6)      Joe – Captain America
 

 


Bet you can’t guess who said this: “Cap’ is not only here to lead, but to serve. If I'm a captain, then I'm a soldier too. Not of any military branch, but of the American people and of my team. I will continue to defend my team from any and all threats it may face. But as of today, I am not just a "superhero." Now and forevermore, I am a man of the people.” If you guessed Captain America, you are wrong. That was Joe’s inaugural address to his teammates as leader and captain. ‘Nuff said.
 
Sabin

4 comments:

  1. YES, YES, and YES!! Keep these coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nailed it. Seeing BC as Zoolander tripped me out, then following it with Nature Boy Tristan Turdlow put the icing on the cakestick.

    ReplyDelete