Monday, March 4, 2013

VOTE: captain, all tournament changes

We've discussed changing the way we choose captains to tie it in with all-tournament selections. With the big weekend rapidly approaching, I figured now is as good a time as any to get this thing settled.

Lets use a simple yes or no vote in the comments section of this post to get this banged out. Voting closes Wednesday. If you vote no, make a suggestion of a change you'd like to see, if you'd like to see any changes made. 

This is the idea I'm proposing, it won't offend me if you don't like it.

The winning captain retains his captaincy. The second captain is the MVP. We vote for three other all tournament players, so four players each year get some sort of designation. If the winning captain is voted MVP, the second captaincy goes to the guy with the next most all-tournament votes.

There's plenty of what if scenarios you can consider but I'm not going to go through them. To me it seems that no matter how we do this thing, everyone knows it's up to them to keep it as interesting as possible. This year Joe drafted Sabin, after all. For that reason I'm not worried about the idea of one guy being captain for several years in a row. I think it raises the stakes and will add intrigue.

Quick aside, I'm hoping one of these days I'll sit down and write a little player page up for each participant where we can post average stats, career highs, etc. So although the all-tournament picks seem completely irrelevant, it'll look cool down the line when they start to pile up and you can see on someone's personal page that he's a six time all-tournament selection.

Anyways, let the voting commence.

13 comments:

  1. While I respect the YES votes of all who want a re-upped winning captain, I like better the idea of getting fresh captains each season. After all, being a captain is a reward for the previous season's performance, not necessarily next year's performance.

    So my vote for now is No.

    I like the idea of the MVP being one captain. I also like the idea of the second captain being chosen from a popular vote, democratically. Each player gets one vote and anyone can state his case. Most votes is the second captain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is Wes ever going to win? :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Whom It May Concern:

    Yes.

    Sin(cerely),

    Spotlight, QP

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of alternating captains, with one being the MVP and the other being a vote in. I already sent in my absentee ballot for Wes for 2014.

    But Yes, just so something changes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What better way to tie in a common basketball scenario than the "winner" holding the proverbial court. Yes

    I'd like to add an amendment to the rule, however. Should someone maintain the captaincy, said person should have the option to relinquish the role to anyone they choose. ie. Wes is still in the hunt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes.

    I do think the captain should have the option to do it or not, but can worry about that part later

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes.

    Also, I like the wrinkle of the captain being able to pass it to someone else if he wants. Could make for some juicy off-court drama. #VoteSmo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since BC came up with it, you know I ain't turnin that down. #fearthedeer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes. Cap can decide whether he wants it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes. Winning captain has option to stay or choose.

    ReplyDelete